MYST on WIndows 7

MYST on WIndows 7

Postby tanyavdw » Thu May 29, 2014 10:42 pm

Hi,
I am trying to load Myst on my Windows 7 Laptop.
Its not allowing me to install, any tips on how to get past this?

Thanks
tanyavdw

Re: MYST on WIndows 7

Postby Tomala » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:35 pm

Are you running the install as administrator? What error does it give you when you go to install?
I used to be an adventurer like you, then I found other games to play.
Tomala
Obduction Backer

Postby Jamie Marchant » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:11 am

What versoin of Myst? It is from CD? From GOG? Steam? Myst Masterpeice eddtion. If it's plan Myst on CD, you might have difactly getting it to run on morden systems. If you have Windows 7 Pro you could try XP mode.(if you disable the network in XP mode, it should be safe to use).
Jamie Marchant

Postby AlanD » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:06 am

I have Myst ME running on Windows 7. The rough notes I made are as follows...

Myst ME
Installs successfully
Run in W95 compatibility, admin, Disable visual themes.
QT7.7.4 doesn't work
QT4.1 from install disk does work
Just needs quicktime.qts

Hope this is some help...
KI numbers:
11981 AlanD
12305 AlanDJ
AlanD
Obduction Backer

Postby Magic88889 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:49 pm

Unfortunatley, getting that version to work is going to be very tricky, maybe even impossible. Myst ME from the disc is a really old version. Part of the problem is having to use the old version of QT. First off, you can't have two versions installed and expect it to work properly. Second, I'm not sure about the compatibility of QT 4 on Win7.

You're best bet is either getting it off Steam or gog.com. Of course, if you're going to get Myst again, you might as well go for the RealMyst Masterpiece Edition. Seriously, it looks VERY nice! Well worth it if you have a computer that can run it (had to borrow my brother's computer).
Magic88889
Obduction Backer

Postby AlanD » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:54 am

Magic8889: As I said in the post directly above yours, I have Myst ME running, right now, on Windows 7 (Home Premium too) with no problems. To expand on my notes:

The version I have is on CD and was bought as part of the Myst Trilogy box set.

It installed without any issues straight from the CD.

It needs only one quicktime file. I got this by installing the Quicktime that came on the CD (4.1), copying the file
QuickTime.qts
to the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Red Orb\Myst Masterpiece Edition" directory, then deleting the Quicktime installation. If you have an existing Quicktime installation, you will have to work out how to retain that: I think I just renamed the Quicktime directory then renamed it back again once finished.

Set compatibility for Myst.exe for All Users to Windows 95, Disable Visual Themes and Run As Administrator.

This is stable for me and the game plays properly. I have this installed alongside RealMyst, Riven, Myst III Exile, Uru The Path of the Shell, Myst IV - Revalation, Myst V End of Ages and MOULa, Gehn, TOC and Deep Island shards. Putting the QuickTime.qts file in the program directory resolves the QuickTime versions hiccup that comes with installing Myst alongside Riven (along with a similar fix for Riven itself, but that is another story)

The GOG version is a much faster way to solve this problem, and is already fixed to run on Windows 7.
KI numbers:
11981 AlanD
12305 AlanDJ
AlanD
Obduction Backer

Postby Magic88889 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:59 am

Sorry, that's my fault. I was looking tanyavdw to respond with what version, and I saw your post and thought it was tanyavdw responding.

Still, I stand by what I said. I have the exact same version as you and have been unable to get it to work with anything later than XP, despite trying some crazy things to get it to work.

Besides. the issue isn't playing the game here, it's getting it to install in the first place.
Magic88889
Obduction Backer

Return to Myst for Windows/Mac