Myst/Riven on Windows8

Myst/Riven on Windows8

Postby mystgeezer » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:37 pm

Hi guys,

I have the Myst Masterpiece Edition and have been trying to get it to play on a new computer with Windows 8. Despite trying all kinds of compatibility suggestions and claims on numerous forums, I can't get it to run. I seem to have plenty of company in this regard, and even some who have gotten Myst or Riven to work with Windows 8 say the quality (especially sound) tends to be poor. Does anyone know anything hopeful, or should I give up and order the pre-fixed versions on GOG.com?
mystgeezer

Re: Myst/Riven on Windows8

Postby Yali » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:39 pm

Get both Myst and Riven on GOG. Its re-coded for windows 7 and 8. I haven't used my Myst discs in years.
Yali
Obduction Backer

Postby Wafna » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:36 pm

If you do get it to play, I believe that you will find other problems. The last time I got the Myst Masterpiece disk to work, which I believe was on Vista, I found Channelwood unplayable, as the view of the levers you needed to flip was just a jumbled mess. I think I purchased the GOG version then and it worked fine.

If you can afford it and your machine can handle it, you might consider the RealMyst Masterpiece edition. I prefer moving around freely nowadays, and there are a few little additions here and there in RealMyst.
MOULagain KI: 00042417 00032066
Wafna
Obduction Backer

Postby korovev » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:03 am

Or you could try ScummVM (see instructions for Myst and Riven).
KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.
korovev
Obduction Backer

Postby mystgeezer » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:50 pm

Hi Everybody,

It took some perusal of email streams and some finagulation, but I took your advice and got realMyst and Riven from GOG. After the finagulation, they both ran without a hitch. RealMyst is truly better than the original game, which is saying something.

Thanks again for your help!!
mystgeezer

Return to Myst for Windows/Mac