Obduction ARG - Continuing the Quest

Re: Obduction ARG - Continuing the Quest

Postby WeldFord » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:52 pm

Well the new website might have some answers ...
WeldFord
Obduction Backer

Postby dgelessus » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:54 pm

On the RM:ME page of Cyan's website there is a row of six screenshots. This may be a little far-fetched, but the number six suspiciously matches the width and height of the image grid on the poster.

The ages are Myst, Channelwood, Selenitic, Stoneship, Myst, Channelwood. Interestingly, no Mechanical. Combined with the counts from the poster that makes 6 Mechanical, 7 Selenitic, 8 Channelwood, 9 Myst, 12 Stoneship.

PS: (I have no idea if phpBB marks edited posts as unread, so it is entirely possible that nobody will ever read this.)
Most of the RM:ME screenshots seem to have a counterpart on the poster. Screenshots 1, 2, 3 and 6 are relatively obvious - they show the generator room entrance (row 4 column 3), the elevator on Channelwood level 2 (row 3 column 2), the water pool in Selenitic (row 4 column 2) and Sirrus's Channelwood room (row 4 column 1). The fourth screenshot, showing the Stoneship lighthouse seen from the telescope platform, has multiple possible "matches" on the poster: row 2 column 2, row 6 column 5, and possibly row 2 column 5. The fifth screenshot does not appear on the poster, because there is no such view in the original Myst game. Row 1 column 2, the initial link-in spot, could be considered equivalent, because it is one of Myst's most iconic locations, similar to how the profile view of Myst Island is iconic(ish) for RM:ME.
MOULa2.dgelessus=32253
dgelessus

Postby dgelessus » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:31 pm

And Cyan uploaded something new on YouTube: http://youtu.be/IswwBXTKtM0
MOULa2.dgelessus=32253
dgelessus

Postby Ainia » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:13 am

dgelessus wrote:And Cyan uploaded something new on YouTube: http://youtu.be/IswwBXTKtM0

Yes, and we all know what this means... Our video analysts need to get busy!

Also, the latest Obduction Kickstarter post indicates an update for RMME will be rolled out soon! Will it contain clues?? And are there hidden clues in the new KS post?
ImageImage
Ainia
Obduction Backer

Postby Seagull » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:49 pm

New post, http://obduction.com/?p=175, found it from a post on reddit.com/r/Obduction, post entitled "Shhhh"

Glanced at levels, nothing jumps out but I'm no expert. Glanced at Mobilefish, but nothing jumps out.

Edit: Had a chance to play around with it some. Looking at the color curves in Gimp, something seems fishy. There are regular spikes in the graphs. Almost like 2 different pictures put together. I think there's something to find here. Is this thing on?
Seagull
Obduction Backer

Postby Rhee » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:23 pm

LADIIIIES AND GENTLEMENNNN THE TSHIRTS HAVE (started to) ARRIVED (yeah okay grammar is hard).

I didn't order one, but on the Obduction Facebook page, one of our fellow Obductees has posted a picture, showing a long list of dates and locations (a la band merch tour tshirt). Screenshots below:

Speculation over whether it is clues to something was met with this little snippet of encouragement from Mr. Warzecha himself:

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEEEEEEAN?!? I don't know, of course. THAT'S FOR ALL YOU CLEVER FOLKS TO FIND OUT!

P.S. if someone is more awesome at forum skills than me and can actually get the images to show up instead of my just having to link to them, please do so. I can't discover how to resize them on Photobucket so that they fit within forum guidelines, and I don't know how to make the show up smaller here using the code, I'd that's possible, which maybe its not. [/ramble] That is all, carry on.aheh okay I figured it out better tada
You're taking me seriously, right? 'Cause I'm totally not.

MOULa 2.0 KI - 01544785
Rhee
Obduction Backer

Postby talldarkmystere » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:24 pm

At first, I suspected they would correlate to UFO sightings. So far, my searches have turned up zilch.

Either I'm not looking hard enough OR... And bear with me....

I'm not looking at the right thing.

Perhaps they aren't UFO sightings, but rather - Abductions.

Missing people.

People we might meet, or learn about in a certain game.
MO:UL - SirDerpsalot
KI #107622

I see the mountain ahead, but I am not worried; I have a spoon.
talldarkmystere
Obduction Backer

Postby Rhee » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:49 pm

One thing found so far! Credit to Alex Rich on the Obduction FB page : Heppner, Oregon suffered a flash flood in June of 1903, killing 247 residents and sweeping away 1/3 of the town. Not an abduction per set, but a lot of people/buildings gone, some of which might not have been accounted for?

Edit to add: there was a complete solar eclipse in March 1970, visible in the US, which us home to places like Savannah Georgia...

MOULa 2.0 KI - 01544785
Rhee
Obduction Backer

Postby talldarkmystere » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:21 pm

I am Alex. And at this point, everything is hyperbolic guess work.

I've continued brain-dumping on the FB thread.
MO:UL - SirDerpsalot
KI #107622

I see the mountain ahead, but I am not worried; I have a spoon.
talldarkmystere
Obduction Backer

Postby numinous » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:59 am

In relation to that "natural disaster" line of thinking, there was a cyclone in Darwin, Australia in 1974, which corresponds to the date on the shirt. There was also a crazy ufo shaped house called the "futuro" that got wiped out in the cyclone. http://www.davidreneke.com/man-lives-inside-a-ufo/
DeviantArt page with my Myst replicas http://numinous80.deviantart.com/
Check out my Riven website "Riven Illuminated" at http://mystarchive.com/rivenil/
numinous
Obduction Backer

Postby Carolyn » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:23 am

Rhee wrote:Edit to add: there was a complete solar eclipse in March 1970, visible in the US, which us home to places like Savannah Georgia...

Considering the fact that the dates seem to be in chronological order, and start back at 0 twice, it seems likely that it means 1870 rather than 1970.
MO:ULagain KI: #00042189 (unused) • #01521023
The cavern is Image, Minkata is Image
@rivenimagebot@CavernCondition
Carolyn

Postby Carolyn » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:00 am

Also, had we forgotten about Karl Hunrath? Los Angeles, California; November 11, 1953.

Something that should also probably be tried is searching for the names of obductees/abductees that we already know from the Obduction website (B. Sims, C. Davis, and C. Farley) along with some of the dates and locations we have here.
MO:ULagain KI: #00042189 (unused) • #01521023
The cavern is Image, Minkata is Image
@rivenimagebot@CavernCondition
Carolyn

Postby Rhee » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:39 am

I looked into 1870 for Savannah Georgia, but the only thing I could note was that the 15th amendment was ratified (which is hardly a disaster and affected far more than just the town of Savannah). Also, as far as I can find, there is no town called Isaiah in Idaho (but I might not be looking in the right place to verify that)

What search engine are you guys using? I'm assuming the stuff we need to find should be popping up at the top of the list, if we're searching with the same engine the puzzlemakers have used...

Edit to add: I haven't tracked down a disaster or accident for it yet, but SJR in Quebec is Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, which is where the Canadian military has one of its main training facilities (my little brother did Basic there).

MOULa 2.0 KI - 01544785
Rhee
Obduction Backer

Postby Ainia » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:25 am

Not sure why, but it looks like my post from yesterday didn't make it from "Submit" to this forum page...

At any rate, thus far the three most recent dates correlate with UFO sightings but the rest are more enigmatic. In fact, a couple of them downright don't make sense.

Toyooka Japan was only established in April 1950. And Idaho was part of the old Oregon Country (a territory, shared/disputed with the Great Britain at that time) back in 1819 (i.e., it didn't exist by name yet); and as Rhee says, there is no Isaiah there today that I can find, nor have I found an Isaiah anywhere yet on an old Oregon Country map.

This one's gonna be a tough! My head hurts already. ;)

Post scriptum: Here's a good map from those times, which has mountains/rivers/lakes labeled as well as settlements (a number of forts). So far, I haven't found an Isaiah there, but don't have time right now to scrutinize it more carefully.
ImageImage
Ainia
Obduction Backer

Postby Eleri » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:44 am

This is what I have so far, take all with a grain of salt. I was working off the assumption that we weren't just looking for disasters, but other events that may relate to the places or people in Obduction.

ISAIAH, IDAHO ~ JAN '19
In 1819, three Owyhees joined Donald Mackenzie's Snake expedition...The three Hawaiians left the main party during the winter of 1819-20 to explore...and disappeared. (This doesn't exactly match, and there's still no Isaiah, ID involved. It may be they are being sneaky and Isaiah is the *name* of someone from Idaho)

SAVANNAH, GEORGIA ~ MAR '70
15th Amendment to the Constitution is adopted. It states that no state shall deprive any citizen of the right to vote because of race, color, or previous condition of servitude. (while not directly related to Savanna, GA, it would have had major repercussions there)

PARIS, FRANCE ~ FEB '94
Émile Henry was a French anarchist, who on 12 February 1894 detonated a bomb at the Café Terminus in the Parisian Gare Saint-Lazare killing one person and wounding twenty.

HEPPNER, OR ~ JUNE '03
The Heppner Flood of 1903 was a major flash flood along Willow Creek responsible for destroying a large portion of Heppner, Oregon, United States, on June 14, 1903.

MONTREUIL-BELLAY ~ NOV '11
The railway accident in Montreuil-Bellay happened in the department (county) of Maine-et-Loire November 23, 1911. A bridge over the river Thouet collapsed to the passage of a train, making fourteen dead.

TOYOOKA, JAPAN ~ MAR '27
A catastrophic magnitude 7.1 earthquake struck off the west coast of Honshu, Japan on March 7 at a depth of 9.6 km. 3,022 lives were lost, 3,295 people were injured and around $40 million (1927 rate) in damage was caused. 15,594 homes were destroyed and 9,821 more were damaged.
(This may or may not be the same as the The 1927 Kita Tango earthquake which occurred in Kyoto Prefecture on March 7- the two are not linked in Wikipedia. And Kita Tango is on the opposite side of the island where modern Toyooka is, while Honshu is just north.)

LOS ANGELES, CA ~ NOV '53
On September 22, 1953, the first four-level (or “stack”) interchange in the world opens in Los Angeles, California (Maker only knows if this relates, it was the only interesting thing in LA in Nov of 1953)

RICHMOND, ID ~ OCT '55
Martial law imposed in 3 Indiana cities, including Richmond, following a violence during a union strike against Perfect Circle Corp., where non picketers open fired on striking workers.

BIRMINGHAM, UK ~APR '68
Enoch Powell's April 20, 1968 address to the General Meeting of the West Midlands Area Conservative Political Centre (commonly called "Rivers of Blood") was a speech criticising Commonwealth immigration, and anti-discrimination legislation that had been proposed in the United Kingdom- it ignited a political firestorm in the country.

DARWIN, AUS ~ DEC 1974
Cyclone Tracy was a tropical cyclone that devastated the city of Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia, from Christmas Eve to Christmas Day, 1974.

ITHACA, GREECE ~ JAN '80

LACEY, WA ~ AUG '97

AGUACLARA, VENEZUELA ~ JAN '01
UFO Sighting

SJR, QUEBEC ~ NOV '07
UFO Sighting

HELSINGBORG SWEDEN ~ AUG '12
UFO Sighting
Storyteller, Creatrix, and maker of general mayhem
Unwritten RPG: http://www.unwrittenrpg.com/
KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.
Eleri
Obduction Backer

PreviousNext

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION (No Spoilers)