Obduction ARG - Continuing the Quest

Re: Obduction ARG - Continuing the Quest

Postby Ainia » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:23 am

Eleri wrote:ITHACA, GREECE ~ JAN '80

Eleri, also note the ideosyncratic spelling on the shirt "Ithica" :)

The best I have been able to figure, Ithica is a less-common current-day spelling, and possibly (still not very clear) a more ancient spelling. Since it's fairly infrequently used these days, I can't help but wonder exactly why it was used here... :?

Also of note, there is a degree of controversy about whether Homer was referring to present-day Ithaca in the Odyssey or a different location (one's side of the argument apparently depends on exactly how one translates from the original writings).
ImageImage
Ainia
Obduction Backer

Postby Carolyn » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:32 am

Eleri wrote:LOS ANGELES, CA ~ NOV '53
On September 22, 1953, the first four-level (or “stack”) interchange in the world opens in Los Angeles, California (Maker only knows if this relates, it was the only interesting thing in LA in Nov of 1953)

Carolyn wrote:Also, had we forgotten about Karl Hunrath? Los Angeles, California; November 11, 1953.
MO:ULagain KI: #00042189 (unused) • #01521023
The cavern is Image, Minkata is Image
@rivenimagebot@CavernCondition
Carolyn

Postby Eleri » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:52 am

Ainia wrote:
Eleri wrote:ITHACA, GREECE ~ JAN '80

Eleri, also note the ideosyncratic spelling on the shirt "Ithica" :)

I ran a few searches using the Ithica spelling, and came up empty for both 1880 and 1980. So no luck there.

Carolyn wrote:Also, had we forgotten about Karl Hunrath? Los Angeles, California; November 11, 1953.

I missed the Hunrath note, good catch!

Thinking more about the 15th Ammendment/Savannah connection- we do have someone with a Civil War connection in the game, and the Ammendment passing just might be a reason for someone from Georgia to want to leave. Is it possible that not all interactions with the space pinecone are involuntary?
Storyteller, Creatrix, and maker of general mayhem
Unwritten RPG: http://www.unwrittenrpg.com/
KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.
Eleri
Obduction Backer

Postby korovev » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:06 pm

Ainia wrote:The best I have been able to figure, Ithica is a less-common current-day spelling, and possibly (still not very clear) a more ancient spelling.

Unlikely: it’s Ιθάκη, I don’t see any iotacism possible in that position (Ithaki is more likely). But it could refer to a Mogwai song ;)
KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.
korovev
Obduction Backer

Postby Teknobubba » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:35 am

Eleri wrote:Is it possible that not all interactions with the space pinecone are involuntary?

Yup. Early character sketches showed a civil war-era soldier, with some updated clothing (boots, I believe).
When you shop, insist on free range corn dogs
Teknobubba
Obduction Backer

Postby Rhee » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:18 am

Just a note from the Facebook thread, one of the slueths there discovered a reference to an Isaiah Drain (small tributary I assume?) in Idaho that is within 40 miles of the Owyhee river and 10 miles of the Snake River that could be a possible location for the Isaiah Idaho reference?
You're taking me seriously, right? 'Cause I'm totally not.

MOULa 2.0 KI - 01544785
Rhee
Obduction Backer

Postby wstrohm » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:24 am

Newbie at this sort of deep research here... what's the overview? The places and dates are data points for a tour by the big "Egg" of various places on Earth at various times? So the Egg toured (or maybe also "will tour") looking for potential "obductees?" Is that the idea?
---- Bill
Intel i7 8700, Z370N, 16 GB DDR4, 512 GB NVMe SSD, nVidia GTX 1050 TI OC, Mac OS 10.13.6
wstrohm
Obduction Backer

Postby Magic88889 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:23 am

We actually have no idea what the dates refer to. All we know is that the new T-shirts say Obduction World Tour, and then give a list of places and dates on the back.
So now we're trying to look up those places and dates and see what happened there to see if we can find something they have in common.

The real issue is that the "dates" only list the month and the last 2 digits of the year. for example, the first date is "ISAIAH, IDAHO JAN. '19". No idea if it means 1919, 1819, 1719, or some other century.

I like your idea though. It would seem to make sense. Still, Cyan's puzzles usually have something to do with the real world, so it would make sense that these dates and places correlate to real-world events in some way.
Magic88889
Obduction Backer

Postby Ainia » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:45 pm

Well, I'll add a caveat to Magic88889's comments...

I think we can be pretty sure that the 1953 date really is a reference to the Hunrath incident, especially since Hunrath was the end goal of Cyan's early Obduction ARG and clearly plays a key role in the upcoming game.

But beyond that, yes, we are extrapolating from that to theorize about the meaning of the other t-shirt dates and places. And as Magic88889 has already mentioned, Cyan has a tendency to connect their game worlds with the real world, as they've already done with the Hunrath incident in Obduction.

So along with others here, I'm betting that these all are references to real world historical events that tie in with the game, most probably as backstory and characters/history in the game world(s).
ImageImage
Ainia
Obduction Backer

Postby fjhLeger » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:50 pm

Not all may be past!
françois
fjhLeger
Obduction Backer

Postby Tai'lahr » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:31 am

I think Magic & Ainia are right. It's simply a World Tour of the seed's visitations to Earth. Some dates are real and have been identified as either UFO sightings or missing persons and other dates are likely tied to characters in the game.

I would assume the dates range from the 19th century to the 21st century.
Tai'lahr
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.

Postby J'on » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:19 pm

Where else is there discussion related to the new T-shirt? Rhee mentions a facebook thread, but I wasn't able to locate that. Is there some discussion in the backers forum? (I keep procrastinating getting myself authorized for that).
J'on
Obduction Backer

Postby Tai'lahr » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:11 pm

There's a T-Shirts thread in the Backer's section, but it was started a year ago and is mostly asking for updates on when they'll be sent out and then the past week, it's been people posting that they've rec'd theirs. No discussion about what's printed on them. Nevertheless, if you're a backer, you should get confirmed and get access to the backers' section. Come join us. :)
Tai'lahr
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.

Postby Acorn1 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:04 pm

Tai'lahr wrote:There's a T-Shirts thread in the Backer's section, but it was started a year ago and is mostly asking for updates on when they'll be sent out and then the past week

Yes, do come and join us: there was also this post to that thread, in reply to a query from Buzzle1 about where to find the Facebook stuff:

new MOULa: Acorn1; new Ki: 57213
Acorn1
Obduction Backer

Postby Acorn1 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:32 pm

ooh, here's a UFO report that fits the Birmingham UK date: http://hauntedskies.blogspot.co.uk/2011/09/ufo-report-1841968-birmingham.html
new MOULa: Acorn1; new Ki: 57213
Acorn1
Obduction Backer

PreviousNext

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION (No Spoilers)