Stuck On Initial Game Launch

For installation issues, problems running the game, game improvement suggestions, etc.

Stuck On Initial Game Launch

Postby K'laamas » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:18 pm

I just installed Obduction via Steam, and I can't get it to start! Just after I click "Play" in Steam (or double-click the Obduction desktop shortcut), & Obduction starts to launch, it gets stuck at the black screen that says "Obduction" with the Cyan & Unreal Engine logos. I can move my cursor, but nothing else ever loads!

I have to use Ctrl+Alt+Del to get access to the Task Bar, but the Obduction window is then just black, with no Min/Max/Close buttons, & so I have to Restart my computer to get the stuck Obduction process to close (which doesn't register as "Not Reponding").

I tried the "Switch Languages" bug-fix, but it didn't help. Both Steam & Obduction have the latest updates. My system specs (posted below) more than meet the minimum requirements. I read somewhere that Obduction requires DirectX 11 (NOT DirectX 12), which doesn't make sense, since DirectX 12 is supposed to be backwards-compatible, & can't be downgraded.

Please help!!!

Here are my system specs:

Model
--Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Series (7559)

Operating System
--Windows 10 Home (64-bit)

Processor (CPU)
--6th Generation Intel Core i7-6700HQ
2.60GHz (6MB Cache, up to 3.5GHz)

Graphics/Video Card
--NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5

RAM
--16GB Dual-Channel DDR3L 16MHz

Hard Drives
--1TB Hard Drive (Standard) 5,400 RPM
--128GB Solid State Drive
".rezuhnuh voohee tsahnril robotesh gelenij"
"The ending can never truly be written."
K'laamas
Obduction Backer

Re: Stuck On Initial Game Launch

Postby Magic88889 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:03 pm

I'd try verifying the integrity of the game files. Doesn't make a lot of sense on a new install, but it would hardly be the first time I've seem Steam screw that up.

In your steam library, right-click the game, and click properties. Go to the local files tab and click Verify Integrity of Game Files.
Other than that, make sure your video card drivers are up to date.
Magic88889
Obduction Backer

Postby fjhLeger » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:32 pm

Is the game installed on the SSD?
I run Obduction on a laptop not so powerful without issue, but this is the GOG sourced version.
françois
fjhLeger
Obduction Backer

Postby K'laamas » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:20 pm

Update: I can get to the Main Menu (New Game, Load Game, Etc.), if I launch Obduction *before* I connect to my TV via HDMI. And then when I connect via HDMI, the video comes through fine on my TV--but not the audio! The sound is only coming through my laptop! I can get sound from my laptop on my TV with other programs, but not Obduction!
".rezuhnuh voohee tsahnril robotesh gelenij"
"The ending can never truly be written."
K'laamas
Obduction Backer

Postby Erik » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:59 am

I guess Obduction just takes the default audio playback device from Windows when it starts, so if you connect your TV later it won't switch the audio device automatically.

It should actually just work if you connect your TV first, strange that it gets stuck! Is the screen connected in Clone mode? (not sure if that can make a difference)

By the way, also make sure you also have the latest NVidia driver. When Obduction launched, NVidia released a new driver version with some fixes/enhancements for Obduction.
Erik
Obduction Backer

Return to Technical Discussion