Myst 25th Anniversary Kickstarter campaign

General discussion about Cyan products / the company.

Re: Myst 25th Anniversary Kickstarter campaign

Postby jef13 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:32 pm

I'm from the UK. Just received email about this and backed it at Maintainer level. Really exciting. They are doing really well.

Recently been playing Riven and Real Myst again, I love these games x

I was also an Obduction Backer but don't think it is shown on my posts?
I am also an Obduction Backer.
jef13

Postby pat_trick » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:18 pm

@jef13 You'll have to email [email protected] to get that added.
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
pat_trick
Obduction Backer

Postby Charura » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:17 am

Assuming you used a different e-mail or log-in name at that time?
Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Postby savoie » Sat May 12, 2018 1:36 pm

Hello from the mountains of Savoy !

I hesitate before becoming a backer (category : writer) of Myst 25th anniversary collection, just because of the OS.
It is said that "all the games will be updated for Windows 10" ... but my OS is WINDOWS 7 !
Does anyone know if it would be also possible to play the games of this 25th anniversary collection on Windows 7 or not :?:
Thanks for your answers,

Jerome.
savoie
Obduction Backer

Postby Magic88889 » Sun May 13, 2018 6:28 am

I actually asked them that question, and was told that they would be releasing an update soon. I haven't seen an answer yet, I'll try asking again.

At the same time, I have to imagine that they would work for Win 7 and up. All the games already released do. And remember that this apparently includes ALL the games. Myst 1-5, realMyst, realMyst: ME, Uru: CC. Rand apparently even wants to include the original release of Myst, which is slightly different that the usual Myst ME that's available now. Even if I can't play all the new editions (only Myst 3 and 4 I would be worried about), I think it's worth it.

Also, and this might just be me, the purpose of backing the kickstarter isn't necessarily to get the games (of which I have all of them in one form or another), but to get the other rewards. The book, the inkwell and pen, all the digital goodies (watch the kickstarter live Q&A with Rand, those are going to really good) ect. The games I can buy later, but those other things are only going to be available in the kickstarter.
Magic88889
Obduction Backer

Postby Shorahmin » Mon May 14, 2018 4:25 pm

I'm speculating that the original goal was more than the reward costs. So this puts the current campaign proceeds in the range Cyan needed to do Obduction.

So check my math. I'm thinking they have a nest egg to do their "Next Thing". Thoughts?
Play nice Shorahmin, play nice...
Shorahmin
Obduction Backer

Postby belford » Mon May 14, 2018 8:26 pm

The original goal was for *less* than the reward cost plus the cost of the Myst 3+4 publishing rights. They didn't hit break-even until $500k.

In Rand's AMA chat last week, he said

We are on the plus side. Not as much as you guys think we are, but we are definitely on the plus side. [...] We don't make a lot of money on these things... we do make some money, yes, but we try to keep the prices [of physical rewards] low as well.
Andrew Plotkin -- Seltani founding member
belford
Obduction Backer

Previous

Return to General Discussion