URU CC won't play

For installation issues, account problems, problems entering the game, etc.

URU CC won't play

Postby Kero » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:25 am

I have a laptop running on MS 7. I had installed URU CC in 2014 and was happily playing it just fine until I went on to other things near the beginning of 2017. A few days ago I decided to go back to CC and finish where I'd left off with the idea of starting a new avi. I clicked on the desktop icon. The play Myst URU splash screen came up and I clicked on it. The URU Setup screen came up and I hit play (yes, the disk was installed) and absolutely nothing happened.

Ok - no problem - move sav file to another location - uninstall and reinstall - return sav file to working folder. hmmm....now why is the desktop play icon a generic MS icon and not the Book? Ok, just a broken link? Go to working folder and 'gosh' the URU.exe icon is also a generic MS icon and not the Book. Gee - that's weird - the URU Explorer icon is the Book?!? Anyway - click on URU.exe and the same sequence as given in the first paragraph occurs with the exact same result. Nothing. OK - eject disk and re-insert. Click on URU launch icon when auto-play screen comes up. Again, same sequence of events as above - hit play - nothing, nadda, nyt.

Oh - before the sequence starts I get a splash screen from windows asking me if I want to allow this software from an unknown publisher to change my computer - I click yes and the sequence starts.

Please, someone help! I'll be honest - sometimes I prefer playing CC to MOULa. I've always liked the way you start in the desert first. :P
All things come to those who wait.

Kero - KI#33425
Tarma - KI#36702
Kero

Re: URU CC won't play

Postby TCB The Scar » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:54 am

Hello ;

1) Have you tryed to run the shortcut with "Windows XP SP3" compatibility mode and "as administrator"?
2) If you already tryed "1)", maybe you should try to install the "NoCD" patch.
If you want to try it, just tell me, I'll send you by PM a link to a ZIP archive temporarily hosted on my website.
Image TheScar.fr (You can visit my website in French or English.)
For some maps to find the Minkata Kivas, take a look at this folder of my Cloud.
Also, feel free to use any idea from this folder for MO:UL (currently 2 ideas).
TCB The Scar
Obduction Backer

Postby Kero » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:03 pm

TCB The Scar - my apologies for not getting back to you sooner. Thank you for your help but the problem has become moot.

Not long after I posted here I discovered the Myst 25th Anniversary Kickstarter campaign. I made a donation that would get me all of the Myst games on disk and through GoG online. They said the games would all be compatible with Windows 10. I have 7 so I crossed my fingers.

I got my code for GoG and after getting all seven games into my account I downloaded URU CC. IT WORKS!!! :shock: I am playing URU CC without a disc and everything is running smoothly. So as I said, my problem is no longer a problem. Now I just have to figure out what to do with the two disks from the old UBIsoft version I have - I suppose they would make great drink coasters. :lol:

Again - thank you for your attempt to help. I'm off to download all the others - happy days..... :mrgreen:
All things come to those who wait.

Kero - KI#33425
Tarma - KI#36702
Kero

Postby TCB The Scar » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:33 am

Good news that you found you way to the 25th Anniversary thing! :)

Keep the discs, maybe they can be usefull for something, one day or another.
You can explore them and take a look at the different files, perhaps there's something you would use ; I don't remember well what's on them, but I think there's a puzzle software using Uru screenshots... I can be wrong.
If I'm right, it should run on Windows 7, but maybe not on Windows 10.
Or maybe it's on the ABM disc (I have both of them), I don't remember.
It's something I have to try again.

Happy exploring in Uru! 8-)

P.S: You can delete my PM, the link will no longer work. ;)
Image TheScar.fr (You can visit my website in French or English.)
For some maps to find the Minkata Kivas, take a look at this folder of my Cloud.
Also, feel free to use any idea from this folder for MO:UL (currently 2 ideas).
TCB The Scar
Obduction Backer

Return to Technical Discussion