The Journey of Yeesha

General discussion about Cyan products / the company.

The Journey of Yeesha

Postby numinous » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:30 am

Just thought I'd leave this here if anyone still visits the forums! ;)
DeviantArt page with my Myst replicas http://numinous80.deviantart.com/
Check out my Riven website "Riven Illuminated" at http://mystarchive.com/rivenil/
numinous
Obduction Backer

Re: The Journey of Yeesha

Postby Christian Walther » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:27 am

Oooh, you’re at it again! :D It looks wonderful. I haven’t read much of the text yet and only solved two of the puzzles, but I’ll keep chipping away!
Christian Walther
Obduction Backer

Postby numinous » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:16 am

I hope you get through to the end of it... who knows what you might find ;)
Check out my Riven website "Riven Illuminated" at http://mystarchive.com/rivenil/
numinous
Obduction Backer

Postby Christian Walther » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:50 pm

Just for your entertainment, here’s where I’m stuck at the moment (3 out of 11 solved). I’m not asking for hints yet, and I also haven’t clicked on the “Help?” button, fearing that it might give me more help than I want.

[Reveal] Spoiler: 1 – Solved
It took a few tries to figure out whether spaces count, whether punctuation counts, whether the numbering starts at zero or at one.

[Reveal] Spoiler: 2
The Riven numerals at the bottom of the page, 1-2-3-4-5-6 (or 0-1-2-3-4-5? Not sure if we know, but it doesn’t matter for what I´ve tried.), put the colored beads in the order red-orange-yellow-green-blue-purple. The squares of the grid, except 6, can be associated to colors or numbers by matching the position of their dot to the position of a bead on the border (not always clearly). There are two beads of each color, not sure if they need to be distinguished. I wondered whether the numbers might make a magic square and we would have to complete it by filling in the 6 blanks, but that doesn’t work. The letters in the grid are in their natural positions, so their order probably does not mean anything.

[Reveal] Spoiler: 3
The D’ni title says “labyrinth” and I’ve solved the labyrinth and arrived at (decimal) 5 12 : 18 7 : 9 6 : 19 9 : 14 11 : 21 8 or 137:457:231:484:361:533, depending on whether the pairs are supposed to be two one-digit or one two-digit numbers (base 25) (in the latter case they should appear fused, not separate like here). But I haven’t figured out the right way to enter that into the password field yet. I tried the above with different amounts of spaces.

[Reveal] Spoiler: 4
No clue. These numbers are huge, so a sequence might be meant rather than a single number (also because the digits in the handwritten line are not fused). The ‘:’ might mean division but the numbers are not evenly divisible. The handwritten line has the same form as the printed ones and thus doesn’t provide much help. “3:15” might refer to a Watcher verse, “The way is a simple thing to gain.” if blank lines don’t count and “” if they do, which I don’t remember from the game but https://dni.fandom.com/wiki/Uru/Watcher_3 seems to indicate. Neither provides much help. I’m not sure if the cannen illustration means anything, any connection to music? I wondered whether the numerals might have to be transformed into letters, but the large numbers of consecutive zeros (spaces) in some lines make that unlikely.

[Reveal] Spoiler: 5
No clue. The picture seems to point at the Selenitic code from Myst, and the rows a–g might mean musical notes. The code is C2 C3 D#3 F2 A#1 – 5 notes, not 7 like the columns in the grid or 6 like the numbers on the Yeesha page. These numbers are pretty large so they can’t be counts of organ keys. There are accented letters in the grid so they are unlikely to mean numbers. I guess we need to pick letters from the grid in a particular order, probably one per Yeesha page number but I don’t know how.

[Reveal] Spoiler: 6 – Solved
The accents in the numbers make it pretty obvious that they are to be read as letters.

[Reveal] Spoiler: 7
“1:35” on a Path of the Shell symbol seems to refer to a Watcher verse, “Knowing the least is the path of wisdom.” I interpret that to mean that from every group of 5 D’ni digits the lowest one is to be taken. But then I’m not sure what to do with those. I tried converting them to letters, but that wasn’t accepted as the password. I’m not sure what the significance of the Bahro numbers is, as they are just in sequence 1–15.

[Reveal] Spoiler: 8
The comment seems to indicate that we are to find the odd one out of every sequence. In the first one that would be the 24, as changing it to 4 would make it an arithmetic sequence, so the solution could be either “24” or the difference “20”. The second line already is an arithmetic sequence, so I’m not sure what to do with that. Is the solution “blank”? In line 3, 23 should be replaced by 18 for another arithmetic sequence. For lines 4 to 6, I haven’t found the law of the sequence yet – they are not arithmetic sequences. It seems odd that 5 and 6 are almost the same.

[Reveal] Spoiler: 9
The D’ni title says “the one only”. Most letters occur more than once in the grid, except for N and S, so are these the solution? But the boxes seem to indicate that we need 6 solutions, not just 2. Doing the same thing per column does not work, there are multiple letters that occur only once in each column. Listing which letters are used at all and which are not yields no obvious clue either, other than that none of those without ascenders occur (the first column of the natural 5×5 grid: Y, E, AY, H, TS).

[Reveal] Spoiler: 10
The D’ni text says “The ending has not yet been written.” The diagram divides the D’ni letters into black and white ones. Applying that to the text yields a sequence of black and white that I don’t know what to do with.

[Reveal] Spoiler: 11 – Solved
That is easy for anyone familiar with binary trees from computer science.
Christian Walther
Obduction Backer

Postby numinous » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:32 am

Hi Christian, I apologise for the cage.... ahhh I mean late reply.... I hope you're having fun trying to work out the puzzles even if you're having trouble with some. Don't fear clicking on the "help" page, it's essentially only a D'ni transliteration guide which may prove useful as a guide to what transliteration standard I followed considering how many variations there are on the web. There's also an email link there to email me directly.

If you're still struggling with any of the puzzles I'm happy to give nudges where necessary, though I will avoid outright spoilers. If anyone else is working on the puzzles and is struggling then feel free to message me as well.

Keep at it, there are still rewards to be given to those who reach the Journey's end! :)

numinous
Obduction Backer

Return to General Discussion