Looking Forward to that Kickstarter ;)

Re: Looking Forward to that Kickstarter ;)

Postby rRicard » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:20 pm

Ha ha ha! Well, wasn't that funny!?

"NOTHING HAPPENED"

Wow! That's so kewl!!

I'm such a devoted Cyan fan, and I love MYST games so much, and I love Rand Miller so much that I don't care. In fact, I love it. I love Cyan. I love MYST. I'm such a doormat!

OK, Now that that's out of the way....
Hey Rand! (and all you other so kewl Cyan staffers)

How about sending my Kickstarter donation back? No, it's true -- I'm not kidding.
I do not need Obduction, I no longer want Obduction. I don't care if I never play the darn game. I no longer want to be a so Kewl Kickstarter supporter of you.
I do not want to be a "signature" backer.
I want nothing further to do with you.
I want my $265.00 back.

sincerely yours,
Rodney Recor
Paris, France

(If any of you so kewl supporters want to flame me, tell me what a mean person/people I am, what a creep I am...
It's OK I surrender. You can email me via [email protected])
Image "r'Ricard" KI15736458
Rodney Recor
http://www.indyURU.net
http://www.rodneyrecor.com
rRicard
Obduction Backer

Postby Ahlisendar » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:27 pm

Well that escalated quickly.
Enter text here
Ahlisendar
Obduction Backer

Postby Trekluver » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:33 pm

rRicard wrote:(If any of you so kewl supporters want to flame me, tell me what a mean person/people I am, what a creep I am...
It's OK I surrender. You can email me via [email protected])

You know what? I don't think I need to. You've successfully made yourself the tushie end of a joke without any remarks from me. Carry on.

(Also, Kickstarter does not offer refunds. So I would suggest you sit back, relax, and try to figure out what sort of puzzle this is Cyan has set up for us to solve. "Without" any ranting.)
TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is Image
Trekluver
Obduction Backer

Postby rRicard » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:53 pm

Yes, yes. "creep", "tushie", whatever. ...And, of course I know there are no refunds.
Nevertheless, if this is an example of an Obduction puzzle, count me out.
I am no longer a Cyan fan.
Image "r'Ricard" KI15736458
Rodney Recor
http://www.indyURU.net
http://www.rodneyrecor.com
rRicard
Obduction Backer

Postby GalvanicSpiral » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:04 pm

rRicard wrote:SNIP

This is a countdown timer that is part of a tangential fan diversion for Obduction. I wouldn't get too worked up over the lack of action. I've seen plenty worse over the years from other game devs when they try to build buzz through timed announcements, etc.

rRicard wrote:Yes, yes. "creep", "tushie", whatever. ...And, of course I know there are no refunds.

I would think that a better indicator of what Obduction's puzzles will be like would be better found in the Myst games, actually.
Freelance Writer

Staff Writer for AdventureGamers.com
Owner/Blogmaster of WriteFullCircle.com

Follow my Twitter: @WriteFullCircle

Known in the cavern as Ghal'vhen
KI# 00213143
GalvanicSpiral
Obduction Backer

Postby Trekluver » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:11 pm

rRicard wrote:Yes, yes. "creep", "tushie", whatever. ...And, of course I know there are no refunds.

Language filter. Though honestly, I have no clue why "tushie" is considered foul. How can I say "cigarette tushie" on the forums without it sounding silly? :lol:

But on a more serious note, if you're no longer a Cyan fan because of a counter on a website that has nothing to do with the final game, then that's your problem (And by problem, I mean "seek immediate help if you have a trollface lasting longer than four hours." ;) ). No need to troll everyone else.
TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is Image
Trekluver
Obduction Backer

Postby Ahlisendar » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:18 pm

rRicard wrote:I am no longer a Cyan fan.

In that case, I'd be willing to purchase indyuru.net from you.but not actually
Enter text here
Ahlisendar
Obduction Backer

Postby greydragon » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:18 am

Shorah all,

Sorry the timer was "anticlimactic". I asked that I purposely not know the future of the ARG. I didn't want any "Spoilers" So I will be unable to answer any question on that front.

What has Cyan been doing? Well many of the employees are finishing up Real Myst Masterpiece. Just when we think its done... we find something to tweek. These delays will make the game/experience better in the end.

Rand is knee deep in database code for the backer rewards.

We also celebrated the holidays with friends and family.

I hoped to see the Obduction forums up at this point, but I too have to wait. We seem to be a waiting bunch the lot of us. I'm personally coming up on my six year anniversary since being laid off from Cyan Inc. Its been quite a wait! I'm glad to be returning very very soon.

So what else is going on? Well, I'll be pretty open about this. We are assembling our team. Many of the individuals who worked on the Kickstarter campaign had other full-time jobs to pay the bills. Many were former Cyan employees who wanted to again work with a talented team and on a passionate project at an awesome company.

Not all members will be hired right away, but a core group has already started work on the project. During the campaign you saw many broad strokes of the Obduction concept. It's time to get down to the nitty gritty.

So what can we do while we wait? I was looking for a big red button to push earlier, but didn't find anything suitable. As the community we have until Feb 28th to get to our goal of 1.7 Million. I totally believe we can do this. I want Roadtrip mode and another world. Its time to hit the button and launch this rocket-ship.

“But Ryan?,” you might say. “Why can't we just keep Paypal open indefinitely?”

At some point we need to know the budget so we can plan our scope appropriately. This is why we have until Feb 28th 2014.

Thank you for you patience.

Ryan

P.S. Its late, hope that is clear :)
Ryan Warzecha (greydragon)
Obduction Project Manager
greydragon
Cyan Employee

Postby GalvanicSpiral » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:26 am

Thanks for the response, Ryan. Perhaps it will put some of us anxious-types more at-ease. :-D

I actually had anticipated that the countdown timer might simply stop at zero, with a new hiredark site update replacing it. Imagine my surprise when, not only did the update not occur, but the counter kept going!

I don't really consider this too terrible, really. As I said before, this is a diversion for the amusement and entertainment of the fans, much as any tie-in ARG is. I've seen plenty of those fizzle completely with no harm to the main project, so I'm not really investing a whole lot of emotion in it. Anyway, I don't expect a fizzle to be the case here, at least in the longer-term.

At any rate, I look forward to some more fun in the coming months. Thanks again, Ryan!
Freelance Writer

Staff Writer for AdventureGamers.com
Owner/Blogmaster of WriteFullCircle.com

Follow my Twitter: @WriteFullCircle

Known in the cavern as Ghal'vhen
KI# 00213143
GalvanicSpiral
Obduction Backer

Postby Malfhok » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:13 am

Thanks for the response, Ryan. We're waiting with you guys. I'm very excited that there's something new at the end of the wait.

Could you possibly get an answer to a question about funding? During the end of the Kickstarter, it was asked if the Roadtrip Mode and Another World goal could be split up into its separate components. Many people expressed a desire to see a larger game before additional bells and whistles. Would Cyan be willing to split those items into two dollar amounts so we know how far we have to go for each?
Cosmic Osmo for iOS is a must!
Malfhok
Obduction Backer

Postby TheScar(.fr) » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:41 am

rRicard wrote:ZIP

[FrenchMode]
N'importe nawak... :roll:
[/FrenchMode]
greydragon wrote:zip

Thanks. :)
Image TheScar.fr (In French or English.)
For some maps to find the Minkata Kivas, take a look at this folder of my Cloud.
Also, feel free to use any idea from this folder for MO:UL (currently 1 idea).
/?t - "jukebox"
TheScar(.fr)
Obduction Backer

Postby ccstat » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:24 am

Thanks for the update, Ryan!
While it's definitely possible that there is a delay and something that should have happened didn't, I'm not yet entirely convinced that's the case. I wouldn't be too surprised if the hiredark counter is a way to timestamp future clues/discoveries, or is itself a clue to fit into some other pattern.
(Although, a short delay would actually be ideal for me since I have several work deadlines coming up soon and can't afford to be distracted too much.)
ccstat
Obduction Backer

Postby Visian_Thistle » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:49 pm

It reminds me of a rocket launch clock. The clock continues to count after the rocket is fired, but it switches from negative to positive (this one is backwards).

Maybe something did happen when it rolled over and is now in progress. The question, of course, is what?
Visian_Thistle
Obduction Backer

Postby greydragon » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:14 pm

Visian! Maybe the rocket launched! Then again. Who Knows?
Ryan Warzecha (greydragon)
Obduction Project Manager
greydragon
Cyan Employee

Postby Visian_Thistle » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:11 pm

I say! http://www.space.com/24171-spacex-priva ... bcast.html

Note the time. kf6kjg said that the web site was counting down to 22:00:00 GMT, which was the time of the rocket launch rounded to the nearest hour.
Visian_Thistle
Obduction Backer

PreviousNext

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION (No Spoilers)