School credit for playing Exile

General discussion about Myst III: Exile.

School credit for playing Exile

Postby Hot2Trot » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:21 pm

So back in 2005 during my last year of HS, our computer media electives classroom had the option to play Exile during class to get actual credits. There were a couple other riddle or brain/teasers to play, and a variety of other non-game things. Usually there was enough time to do 3 to 4 things in that class for the semester.

I just thought that was really cool, I wonder if any other schools did this with a Cyan game. Anyone?
*googles that really fast* oh hey, look at that! http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4160466.stm

That teacher was one cool guy, the kind you are student-teacher friends with by the end of the year. :)
To live is to find yourself, make yourself, and be yourself. tumblr
Hot2Trot

Re: School credit for playing Exile

Postby Graizur » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:52 pm

Wow. That's really cool of your computer class teacher. It's definitely a brain workout, makes sense. Jealous.
Graizur
Obduction Backer

Re: School credit for playing Exile

Postby Ainia » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:03 am

Glad you discovered the work of Tim Rylands! Mark Warner is another U.K. teacher who has done similar classroom work using the Myst games. I suspect your own teacher was probably influenced by their work. :) I gather that Rylands in particular started a whole "movement" in the teaching community.

If you google "Myst in the classroom", you'll find a variety of online resources though the web sites hosted by Warner seem to be down.
ImageImage
Ainia
Obduction Backer

Return to General Discussion